Sorry, but DynamicGreens Wheatgrass Juice is only available directly from the farm. U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations do not permit the resale of unpasteurized juice and as a result, no company can supply or wholesale unpasteurized juice to any store.
Why We Only Sell Direct To Consumers
To sell our juice to other businesses for resale, we would have to pascalize, pasteurize or irradiate it. We believe that this causes irreparable harm to the food because we know that these processes do significant collateral damage to the food which at a minimum affect the organic elements, enzymes and proteins.
We simply cannot compromise the juice as doing so would compromise our primary business objective which is to “achieve growth by delivering measurable health results”. The only legal method of selling unpasteurized juice is for a business to provide it directly to its own customers. When a consumer purchases from DynamicGreens, they are buying juice directly from the farm. Doing so meets both the spirit and the letter of the regulatory laws. You can read more about the U.S. regulatory environment which sets these rights and restrictions, specifically, Bill S 510.
Bill S510 FDA Food Safety Modernization Act
On November 30, 2010, the U.S. senate passed bill S 510 titled the FDA Food Safety Modernization Act. This is a broad act and that affects many parts of the food distribution system. Among these things, it mandates that juices sold business-to-business must be processed under a program called HACCP.
HACCP Juice Guidelines
Under HACCP guidelines, the juice itself must be treated with a process that ensures a 5-log pathogen reduction (reduces pathogens by 99.999%). The guidelines do not specify the method, instead they leave this open for potential advances in technology that would meet requirements. At present, there are only three ways to achieve compliance. The juice provided to any business must be either pascalized (high pressure pasteurization), heat pasteurized (high temperatures) or cold pasteurized (done through irradiation of the food).
Here are the specific details of the HACCP guidelines:
We believe these treatment methods are blunt instruments that create significant collateral damage to the juice. We base our opinion on some simple observations:
- Heat Pasteurization
- Process: temperature of 145 F (30 minute application) to 250 F (0.1 seconds)
- Collateral damage: enzyme damage begins at 108 F and the resulting product does not spoil signaling that organic elements no longer exist
- Wikipedia Pasteurization
- Cold Pasteurization (radiation treatment)
- Process: Irradiation
- Collateral damage: acts by damaging the target organism’s DNA beyond its ability to repair, life is impaired as seeds that are irradiated can no longer sprout, the resulting product does not spoil because the organic elements no longer exist.
- Wikipedia Food Irradiation
- High Pressure Pasteurization (HPP or Pascalization)
- Process: High pressure is applied (in excess of 50,000 PSI)
- Collateral damage: food proteins are denatured (cooking an egg is an example of protein denaturing), certain enzymes are deactivated, hydrogen bonds are fortified and non-covalent bonds in food are disrupted
- Wikipedia Pascalization
Source: Food And Drug Administration
Unpasteurized Products Must Have This Warning
If your juice is unpasteurized, it must contain a warning. If this warning is not present, you can be assured that the juice has been processed. Here is the text of the required warning:
Our juice label contains this warning, which you can see here.
DynamicGreens is devoted to producing raw, living, potent unpasteurized juice and will not compromise on quality. That means we will not pasteurize, irradiate or pascalize it. Without pasteurizing, irradiating or pascalizing the juice, it is impossible to meet HACCP regulations and therefore, we cannot be found in your local retail store or juice bar. As a result, we will continue to sell only directly to consumers and greatly appreciate the time you take to tell your friends and families about how much you are enjoying it.